Monday 29 March 2010

The Gods Weep


Ok I confess, I rushed to book my tickets for Hampstead Theatre’s latest production, The Gods Weep by Dennis Kelly because it had Jeremy Irons in it and pretty much ignored what it was about, probably for the best as I’m not entirely sure that you could adequately synopsize the play’s 3 hour content! The evening got off to a cracking start as Irons, playing a kind of Gordon Gekko straight out of Wall Street role, dominated the scene in a fairly conventional board room setting. The subsequent action was then fast paced but never dull moving into a Quentin Tarantino phase before finally turning into a much calmer Waiting For Godot scenario with a staggering metamorphosis by Irons from his suited and slick get up to pajama wearing tramp in act 2. I know some critics have disliked this production but I LOVED it, it moved me, shocked me but always engaged me. I try and pop along to the wonderful Hampstead Theatre as often as I can and think they should be applauded for putting on this brave new production, please do go along and support it as it’s big, brash, ambitious and provoking - thank you Mr. Irons for taking on the challenge!

Photo from the Royal Shakespeare Company

Written By: Alison

No comments:

Post a Comment